You CAN Sing!
For those of you who don’t know me I want you to know that even though I have a musical background… I am NOT an amazing singer. I have never been taught how to sing and I have never had to sing for an audience (thank goodness). I put myself in the category of ”normal person just wanting to sing”.
- I sing because I want to.
- I sing for my children.
- I sing because it makes me feel happy.
- I sing while I work.
- I sing in the car.
- I sing in the shower.
- I sing during labour (of course…)
Why do I want you to know this?
SoundBirth’s tagline used to be “Sing Your Baby To You”…which I noticed freaked people right out!
I started to notice them saying things like, "I can’t sing so there’s no point in me doing the Soundbirth thing”. Or “It’s alright for those people who CAN sing”. Or “There’s NO WAY I’m going to sing around my kids! They’ll all runaway!” I have heard these words come out of people’s mouths a number of times now…and I feel sad every time I hear it…
Most people these days think that to “be able to sing” means you have to be a singer on stage or on TV. And if you’re not doing that, you are NOT a “singer”.
Well stuff that! I believe you are ALL singers! Even my first boyfriend who was “tone deaf” would enjoy singing along with his Metallica albums! So he is also a “singer”! If he can do it so can you!
- If you can talk you can sing.
- If you can cheer at a footy game, you can sing.
- If you can groan and moan and swear your head off when you kick your toe, you can sing.
- If you can laugh out loud, you can sing!
If you have kids or about to have a baby you really can’t afford to NOT sing. There are SO many benefits that definitely outweigh the limiting beliefs you may have about your voice.
- increases oxygen in the body
- lowers blood pressure
- increases oxytocin (the LOVE hormone)
- reduces adrenaline
- increases endorphins
- releases stress and tension from the body
- releases negative emotion
- energises the body
- brings you into the present moment
- and more…
Try singing out for yourself!
Notice what a difference singing makes to your level of happiness, to your energy levels and to your connection with your children by making the choice to sing everyday! Who cares what those around you think of your voice!
Their reaction is their problem… (you may even be surprised to find out that they ENJOY hearing you sing!) This is about YOU! It is a nurturing thing to do for yourself…and it’s FREE!!! But you will only find this out if you DO IT.
Tips for those who think they can’t sing!
- Start by making louder sounds when you yawn, sneeze or laugh.
- Hum! Everywhere and Anywhere! Has same benefits as singing by the way!
- Sing your favourite song in the shower while no one is around.
- Sing along to your favourite music when no one is around.
- Then finally make the jump into singing whatever you feel like singing while your kids and husband ARE around!
- Pay attention to how YOU feel. Challenge yourself to continue singing even if you start to feel uncomfortable…eventually you will sing without inhibitions and will be able to use your one and only voice as a tool to help you feel fully ALIVE!
Sing like a bird…and you’ll feel as free as a bird!